Friday, February 6, 2009

Le Grand Mystere du Petit Poisson

The sad tale of our many aquatic friends is long and complicated (and also a tragedy) so I will pass on relating the whole story for now. Suffice it to say, since November, we have been the owners and protectors of two small scum suckers. That sounds like an insult, but it is merely the truth.

Anyway, after our last eight fish died (that's the tragic part), I was trying to distance myself, in case my bad karma killed our new fish. Every once in a while I would look in, see how they were doing, notice that the tank continued to be a scum-free fishy apartment, and go my way.

But after a weekend trip, we couldn't find one of our little fish tenants. Usually scum suckers are not difficult to find, as they tend to attach themselves to the sides of the tank, but I couldn't find our friend anywhere. We searched the filter, and he was not in it, alive or dead. He's not in or under any of the rocks. And we were only gone three days, not long enough for him to decompose. And we have seen neither gill nor fin of him since. So here are the theories:

1. His brother in sucking turned cannibal and ate him.
2. He made a bid for freedom and leaped from the tank, ending his days in agony in an unknown locale.
3. He has been relocated by the witness protection program so he can testify against the neon tetra mafia he worked for when he lived at the pet store.
4. He’s Harry Houdini, reincarnated in fish form, and he has escaped his watery confinement to become a celebrity among fish.

Personally, I lean toward the witness protection program option because I've seen what tight groups those neon tetras form. Also, they are very flashy and I don't know where they get the money to keep themselves in such style. I have a feeling that Le Grand Mystere du Petit Poisson will remain unsolved--at least until we move in April, when we will probably find his poor little carcass, not quite decomposed enough to hide the bullet hole from the neon tetra gun that did him in.

1 comment:

Tina said...

A break in the case! A new theory has been put forth! Are you read for this?

Jason ate the fish.

I know, shocking, but he doesn't deny it. The real tragedy (or boon, depending on how you look at it), is that now we can't have kids because he could just turn cannibal and eat them at any time. Or me, in fact, as I am now half-woman, half-fish.