Friday, May 22, 2009

Of Fads and Food Blogs

I try not to get into fads too much, and not for the reason you might think. Though I like being original just as much as other people, I am not about to sacrifice my Harry Potter collection on the altar of Individuality. No, I don't like getting into fads because it is too detrimental to my bank account to keep Practical Tina—a version of myself I dislike only slightly less than Fitness Tina—occupied quietly in the back of my mind where I like her. But despite my best efforts, I've fallen in with a fad that I am hopeless now to resist. Like collecting mini Beanie Babies from McDonald's when I was young, I will continue to read food blogs avidly until they are replaced by something made of plastic or I die of obesity.

At first I just took a quick gander at the first recipe on the page. If I liked it, I copied it into Word and went on to the next site. But now, sites like the Smitten Kitchen have me reading through their posts and copying recipes that include foods I hate, like matza. And I blame it on the pictures. I don't know of any recipe I would not try if I saw that it was slathered with chocolate ganache. It's my kryptonite, or Superhero Tina's, anyway.

Okay, well, the pictures are a big part of it, yes. But the real reason I am so enthralled by food blogs is, I think, that food blogs, with their recipes for foods like fudgy brownie cookies and lemon cheesecake, offend Fitness Tina. And there's almost nothing I like more than spitting in her skinny face and kicking her in her sculpted buns. And since eating is a necessity, Practical Tina doesn't put up too much of a fight at my buying obscene amounts of cream cheese, baking chocolate, and strange spices. And if Practical Tina isn't going to put up a fight, well, I'm certainly not going to complain. To the baking aisle, Superhero Tina!

1 comment:

Kara said...

I'm going to go try this stumble upon thing. I love recipe blogs as well. For Mother's Day I made myself Oreo Rice Krispy Treats that I found on a food blog...yummy! -Kara