Wednesday, June 24, 2015

A Few of My Favorite Things (Read: Books)

I often get asked for reading suggestions, and I try to tailor them to the asker as much as I can. But there are some books (and "book" here can mean novel, essay, play, or poetry) that I recommend to everyone, that I liked so much that no matter a person's preferences, they end up hearing about. That list includes:

  • The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
  • The Bromeliad Trilogy by Terry Pratchett
  • The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
  • The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  • Cry the Beloved Country by Alan Paton
  • The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
  • The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
  • King Lear, A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Merchant of Venice, and Macbeth by Shakespeare
  • Born to Run by Christopher McDougall 
  • The Poisoner's Handbook by Deborah Blum
Obviously, this isn't a full list of the books that I love. Some literature I can't recommend to just anyone.  "A Modest Proposal," for instance, is not for those who cannot joke about fiscally motivated cannibalism. And all of the above recommendations are more serious in nature, even those by Oscar Wilde (because it's earnest, you see). So if you're looking for something lighter in nature, maybe something what one might call "beach reading," I'll tell you what I took to the lake the other day: Emma and Anne of Green Gables. (No, really, I did, but I didn't open either, so you can lower those eyebrows.)

But if you really must know what I read when I'm not pretending to be intellectual, here's what made it into the one box (for weight and space reasons, we couldn't bring my books or bookshelves, and yes, I do actively miss the books that got left behind) of books that made it onto the moving van to Idaho two years ago:

Editing references, History of the Church (my mom's set that I borrowed and have--ahem--never finished), Jesus the Christ, various Shakespeare, Austen, poetry, and cookbooks. Fire hid during the real packing and so became a stowaway to Idaho. I like it, but it didn't make the original list.

Didn't I say I love Harry Potter? I'm still waiting for the sequel to Pegasus. You hear that, Robin McKinley? My toes are still tapping impatiently.

Not pictured: Ender's Game, Ella Enchanted, Summers at Castle Auburn, and The Ugly Princess and the Wise Fool

No comments: