Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Internet Birth

I never really wanted a blog. To be frank, I think that there are too many bloggers out there that have nothing to say but still say too much, and I didn't want to be one of them. So I've been waiting patiently for there to come a time in my life when I had something to contribute.

This is not that time.

I also didn't want to be totally cliche and create a blog just after I got married so everyone I know and many people I don't know could come and peek through the windows of my marriage to see what is going on. Thanks for the offer, but this is a one woman and one man show. We are not performing monkeys, and our marriage is not a circus (despite the regular juggling performances and presence of bearded women). We need no audience.

Also, I feel like writing a blog about that is assuming that the whole world, the whole universe, cares what Jason and I ate for dinner last night, and why we ate it, and how it affected our bowel movements. And I don't believe anyone does. (Do you care? Really? Why?) So I won't subject you to that.

I probably just offended a lot of my good friends with that idea, and I didn't mean to. Sorry, my good friends. (If you're my mediocre friends or bad friends--meh. No apology to you.) I didn't meant that all blogs like that are silly or useless. In fact, I'll tell you a secret: I do like to read other people's blogs, even married people's blogs. A lot of them actually have something to say. A lot of them are entertaining and therefore worth reading, regardless of the content. (Yes, if you make it funny enough, I will read about what you ate for dinner and the after effects of that.) But it is not for me. Maybe it's just that I feel that other people have more to say about their lives. Or maybe it's just that my heart is a frozen, shriveled prune, too cold to let anyone in that easily. Or maybe I just don't care to clean the windows of and open the curtains to my marriage. Or maybe there is no good reason.

But, as you see, I gave in. Why? you might ask. (Or maybe you don't care. In which case, what in the H are you doing still reading this?) I gave in and got a blog for a lot of reasons. I enjoy writing and I think that (maybe) if I have a place to write, where people will actually see my writing, I might write more. And work on my writing. There was a little bit of peer pressure involved. Aaaaand there might have been mention of the increased chances of future employment based on my ability to blog.

So here I am, 23 and being born again, this time to the internet. Welcome to the internet, baby girl!

No comments: