Friday, January 30, 2009

Yummy Candy, Crappy Sentiments

Today I received the ultimate crappy Valentine's Day candy sentiment from the master of all crappy candy sentiments, Dove chocolates. A group of girls presented about theater in my Shakespeare class, and as a treat, one of the girls handed out the little Dove chocolate miniatures. You know, the kind that are usually square, with a worse-than-fortune-cookie sentiment on the inside of the wrapper? Yeah, it was that kind. Only, for Valentine's Day the candy is heart shaped and the saying on the inside was worse than usual.

After I had opened my candy, I read, "Be your own Valentine." Now, that sentence, though one of the worst sentiments ever expressed on candy wrapper, was also one of the funniest. What, I thought, could be a better sentiment for a young, single girl to receive from her chocolate when she's sitting at home alone on Valentine's Day? I only hope that the thousands of young, single girls who buy themselves bags of Dove chocolates on Valentine's will open and read the sentiment on that particular chocolate right as Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy finally hook up.

Thank you, Dove, for contributing to the tears of single adult women everywhere.

No comments: